Broken links is a result from an error that was found in the page you are looking for. Basically when you go to a page and the server does not retrieved the page you are looking for, it will automatically show an error page 404 that indicates the page you are looking for is not there.
As an SEO Expert it is one of our priority to ensure that this broken links are immediately fixed and how do we do that? Let us figure out the process to fix broken links.
What are the tools we can use to identify broken links?
- Screaming Frog SEO Spider – This tool can help in finding out the broken links
- W3C Link Checker – This tool also provides an accurate broken links error list
- Google Search Console – This tool is the most important tool to have in monitoring broken links
302 Redirections which is known as a “Temporary” redirections that is used for temporary page removal for immediate fix or content editing.
301 Redirections which is knows as a “Permanent” redirections that is used for permanent deletion or removal of the page and you want your traffic be directed to another page or for some directing them to another website.
These redirections can be done through .htaccess or for websites that uses CMS or Content Management System there is an available modules or plugins that you can set a simple 301 or 302 redirections.
What does this Redirections do that benefits your SEO campaigns?
- Another way to keep your website health and updated, remember the search engines and Google loves websites that are updated and regularly maintained.
- Keep your traffic or visitors invested in the website, if you showed them a broken link the possible scenario is for your visitors to never comeback.
Broken links must be regularly checked and if found this must be immediately fixed. Remember that this is another important SEO practice that should be worked on.